Looking For Something?

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Listening For That Sweet Tune-Chapter 28: Further Down The Hollow Pt. 3





 STOP


Have you read the preceding chapters?
If not then read it from the beginning
or

Read the preceding chapter...



Go to the beginning:
Previously on Listening For That Sweet Tune:











To the left and right of the stage in which the podium, slab and spire sat on were hallways to go back into the rest of the building and what a mess it was. As I began to walk through the halls everything changed from stone and marble to Sheetrock walls, wooden supports and a cheep white tile that covered the floors. This was no longer a Wretched made building but a human addition. Fluorescent lights flickered on and off as various papers covered portions of the hall. As I continued down the hall doorways began on my left and right. Carefully looking into each room I noticed that they were built to be classrooms. 

The religion of The Wretched is something I don't quite understand. To worship and obey is one thing but teaching classes to various amounts of people is something I don't have a grasp on quite yet. I guess it is a common enough subject to teach on much like a class but something I may attend is not clear enough for me. In one of the rooms I looked in there was a chalkboard and written on the chalkboard were several names. 

Circled at the very top was a name. 'Bale'. To the side of his name, written on the rest of the length of the chalkboard it read 'King'. Three lines came out of Bale to form three more names 'Fey, Anathema and Malicious'. Besides the names it read 'Prince'. Two lines came out from every prince name creating six more names 'Odious, Bane, Nefarious, Sullen, Sovereign and Rancor'. Besides these names it read 'Duke'. Beneath those six were another six, these were not circled nor had any lines coming to them but had the word 'Knight' under each one. 'Vitiate, Reprobate, Mephitic, Fetid, Foul and Dire' were the knights in their perspective order. 

I looked at each name carefully and repeated them in my head as I looked over the lines again and again. I knew this was going to help me understand more of The Wretched but as I went over every name I could only think that there was more Wretched than the chalkboard alluded to. Bale--the King of The Wretched—seems to no longer be the King if the Mother Sow pulls the strings now. I can only wonder how she came around, if Bale was the king then why would he let someone else take his spot? Could of she have been a lesser Wretched that moved up the totem pole? It wouldn't make sense because that means everyone would be fighting for the throne over all and it doesn't seem that way. It seems to me that the rest of the high ranking Wretched seem to have male personas but the Mother Sow is obviously a woman, how is that so? The people of this town never mentioned The Wretched's name that took the church and Pete's daughter I could only wonder if it’s Bale himself or even The Mother.

I exited the room and back into the hallway to see a door at the end of the hall swing back and forth. I looked back into the room I was just in to see if there was an open window but none could be seen. I looked behind me to the other end of the hallway and no doors were open to create a draft other than the way to the church. 'Someone must have opened the front door,' I thought. I couldn't think of any other reason that the door swung open other than someone going through the door, which I highly doubted but hadn't ruled out. 

I began to head back to the chapel listening for any sort of noise that would make it appear that someone was here with me. Everything was all muffled as if they were whispering so I approached the church closer yet I couldn't understand what was being said. Another man started talking and I could make out a few words. Daughter, sacrifice and The Mother Sow were words that I could make out very well but everything else remained lost in translation but I knew what was going to happen regardless. 

The people's footsteps grew closer towards me so I hurried into the closest room near me and shut the door. It was dark and the air smelt damp but it wasn't blood I searched for a light switch against the walls but before I found a light my head hit something dangling in the air. I reached up to it and it felt like a hook. I felt around more in the air and more hooks tinged together and sway with the momentum I gave them. Reaching against the wall again I found the light switch and turned it on. A slight buzz began above my head and a fluorescent light turned on shining through the darkness. Meat hooks. That's what they were but why would such a thing be in a church? On the shelves in front of me were several chemical cleaners that included bleach and a slop sink with red blood stains around the white plastic of the sink. 

Footsteps began to sound outside the door and I rushed to turn off the light as quiet as I could and I got down low. Looking through the gap from under the door I could see that the two men stopped right in front of the door. I sat silently nearly holding my breath as I waited to see what happened next. Knock knock. He knew I was here. I got up to my feet and walked towards the door as the man began to open it. Light shined into my face as the door was opened and I covered my eyes as I walked outside the closet. When my eyes adjusted I looked towards the two men. 









Up next in Listening For That Sweet Tune:















Remember me

No comments:

Post a Comment