Looking For Something?

Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Child: Entry 29


STOP
Have you read the preceding chapters?
If not then read it from the beginning
or
Read the preceding chapter...



The Beginning:



Previously on The Child:



Everything further on up the stairs was a luxury in some way, shape or form. Red velvet carpet covered the floor being made out of such fine fabrics I could feel the soft cushions through my shoes. As soon as we reached the main floor, the concrete walls and ceilings of an underground tunnel turned into fine walls of that of a chapel. Stones, metals and several kinds of glass paved their way down the hall as the theme of red velvet continued not only on the ground but with drapes in the forms of ribbons hung down from the ceiling going every direction. The ceiling itself was something of itself; it towered up to at least twenty feet high if not higher and frescos of what looked to be a divine theme showed through all the gaps.

Stained glass windows and several kinds of metals lined the walls on our left as to our right was several wooden doors with family portraits in between—this continued down a straight hall for what seemed to be miles. Everything had some form of a twelfth-century Gothic style to it; walls had curves and vaults to make simple masonry look like some childish activity. The place looked old but you could tell it was made recently, just in an older form of architecture.

Light flooded through the hall from the stained windows. Ville took the lead in front of me in some form of haste but that didn't depreciate my love towards the craftsmanship that flooded the halls. I lifted up my neck to get more sun to hit my face, it felt amazing, this whole place offered that feeling as one gets whenever they finally get to their house from a long vacation. This felt like my home for a seconds time till I remembered that I may not even be welcome, I just wish that the events that happened previously would not follow me here. I wanted a family; I needed a family, a family to watch over me and to give me that feeling that I get in my body that feels like a liquid happiness. I've never felt that before, I loathed for it like it was a drug and under any circumstance I would do anything to get that feeling again. I felt compromised to do others bidding and I was fully aware of it but as long as I could feel good, nothing mattered. 

Ville stopped in front of a door that was to the right, it looked like all the rest--I couldn't figure out how he knew which door he wanted to go through—as he pushed his hair back behind his ears and breathed in deeply a few times.

'You going to be okay? You seem really tense.' I asked.
    
'What?' He thought for a second. 'Yeah I am fine. I have just been away from home for such a long time I just don't know how anything is going to turn out. I just hope we run into my father first.' I laughed aloud for a second because he told me tales of his mother while we were on our way to 'Calpernicius' or The City as a more common term. He smiled back as me to then turn to the door and place his hand on the knob and breathed in several more times. I heard a door behind us from where we were coming from open. Ville instantly looked towards the sound as a foot came out and then a man with a suit who was talking to himself and his head down came out with his head down. Ville took his hand off of the knob as the man leaned his back against the door he just went through. His stance turned into a more aggressive position as he turned his head towards us—he knew we were here, like a hunters instinct.    

'You're not supposed to be here. What the hell are you doing here?' My throat blocked up in seconds as I lifted up my hands as if to say 'I don't know'. I couldn't find any words in which to respond to him. 'I am only going to ask you one more time. What are you doing here? You better answer me now boy.' I tensed up still speechless to turn to look at Ville who was behind me. He looked at me as if he didn't know what to say either but pushed me to the side to confront the man.
    
'I am sure you recognize me. Boy. I am a long awaited guest and I deserve all of your hospitality within these walls.' The man was speechless himself, making the same motions and sounds I was making seconds prior. He looked like an idiot caught in his own steps with his hand in a cookie jar, I laughed to myself then wondered if I looked like that.
    
'Of course I remember you. You are here earlier than expected.' Ville nodded his head and finally smiled.

'Well of course. Things turned out to be easier than we previously figured, no thanks to this fellow man.' He turned to his side pointing to me to show the other man looking at me intensely and Ville offered the same look.

'I’m sorry.' I said. The two men laughed together and the other continued.

'Well he certainly is a peculiar fellow. I’m sure your mother would be please—' Ville stopped him.

'I was actually hoping to see my father first is he in his study?' The other man rubbed his head for a second.

'Yes, he is but are you sure you don't want to confront your mother first? She would be very...disappointed to hear that you didn't see her immediately.'

'I know my mother, you don't have to tell me that. I know what I am doing, just don't mention to anyone about my presence till I have talked to her.' The man nodded to Ville as they shook hands. He opened the door he previously got out of and looked both ways before he motioned for us to follow him. I wondered to myself why there had to be such secrecy but like in nearly all of my days previous, all would be revealed to me within time. It seems like that is all it ever is, just some waiting game. I shrugged it off and followed Ville and the other man. In this other hall, continued the mass hallway but in another direction but the floors were made of fine marble tiles, limestone and granite in their own respective places. Instead of doors on both sides of us, there were mass sections of the walls missing around us to be leading into much larger rooms. Everything was open now, I guess we were more vulnerable to being seen but then again I never understood the pertinence to be invisible at this time. 

We turned down a much larger hall with vaulted ceilings and flying buttresses, I was in awe but this wasn't the time to stop. There were several other people talking on the other side of the massive hall but we kept close to the buttresses. On the other end looked like a lobby of a business. Posters and flyers littered the halls with propped up signs saying 'regional seminars in rooms 4B-6C' along with a rather large desk with many attendants behind them and a large open entrance with people flowing in and out. To the left and right of us on the walls were several two metal doors right next to each other to form something that looked like a pocket doorway that I had in my own fathers house.

Ville and the man turned to the closest one and waited for one to open. That's when I realized that they weren't really trying to be as unseen as I previously thought. Ville stood in front of the door with his arms crossed just bobbing his head till the doors opened. He even turned to look at several people waiting at their own doors a little more than fifteen feet to our right. At one point Ville maintained eye contact with one in the other party and waved as the others waved back. Its like I created some scenario in my head that said we were something like wanted men. 

I scratched my head for a few seconds trying to figure out if all of these paranoid thoughts that I have been having were all just self-made and I was drifting off from reality. I reached into my pocket seeing if I was imagining the 'Cube' also—I wasn't. The cube sat there in by pocket having the size a little smaller than my fist, actually taking the shape of a cube now. I wrapped my hand around it to reassure that it was an actual thing and a ding rung, out of my pocket. A sound that you get from when you tap something like a glass cup with a spoon or such, just some kind of high pitched dings. 

I looked back and forth to see if it was coming from anywhere else but I noticed that the men that were to our right were looking towards our direction. Ville turned his head to look at me and I looked back confused. The man that was with us began to walk away as the doors opened in front of us, Ville grabbed my hand that wasn’t in my pocket and pushed me into this five by five square room.


Up next in The Child:














Remember me

No comments:

Post a Comment