Looking For Something?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Listening For That Sweet Tune-Chapter 8: A Sight To See Pt. 1



STOP
Have you read the preceding chapters?
If not then read it from the beginning
or
Read the preceding chapter...



Go to the beginning:



Preceded by:



Nearly like events in the past, was covered in sweat when I woke up and the place that I woke in was not where I went out. In fact it is the only place I have awakened in the past few days, they could in fact have only been hours. I pulled the sheets off of me and sat on the side of my bed and looked at the chair in front of me. It felt like I haven't slept for days, maybe I haven't. It seems that I keep waking up at the same time, maybe it has only been hours since I first met Serenity—I'm losing my concept of time.

Everything continued to blend into each other, I could figure out what was going on. In frustration I moved my hands through my hair while keeping my fingers closed lightly to give my hair a tug but not enough to rip out my hair—though it took out all of my loose hairs to wind up in between my fingers. I did this several times while I was in deep thought, not completely aware of my actions until I heard a noise on the other side of the wall I was looking at in front of me. 

My fingers tensed up as soon as the sound began and before I knew it I had a hand full of my own hair. Whatever the sound was, it was not coming from the inside of my apartment but of that of another room that was against mine. It sounded like something was being pushed up against the wall repeatedly. It wasn't anything just hitting the wall because I could hear scratching on the ground as well; maybe furniture, something heavy, wood against wood. Each sound up to another weren't rushed in any way, not even anything being slammed against each other—like it was trying to get my attention, to make me incredibly curious. It succeeded in whatever it was trying to do because I began to wonder about the exact thing on what was going on.

I got out of bed and walked to the wall that was making the noise that intrigued me so greatly and whatever was happening on the other side stopped immediately. I waited a few minutes to see if anything else was going to happen, when I could hear anything I put my ear against the wall to see if I could hear whispers or something similar. It was completely silent; not even a single sound was coming from outside—for a second I felt that I was deaf.

A slight shuffling began on the other side and before I knew it a loud noise began that surprised me to the point of jumping and falling onto my back. In my head it felt like the gates of hell were opened and I happened to be in the midst of the initial fires but I gained my composure seconds thereafter to realize that it was only music.

Crackling traveled through the airwaves along with occasional skipping, I could tell for sure that the sound was coming from a phonograph and a somewhat damaged record. I could make out every sound that occurred in the recording like it was sitting right next to me but I defiantly knew that this was not the case. I recognized the song, to every single beat; it was 'The Thieving Magpie Overture' by Gioachino Rossini. The sound of it was amazing, I loved every second of it but if anyone else was inside this building, I had to know.

I couldn't stand a single bit longer to not understand fully on what was going on so I rushed back up to my feet and walkout out of my bedroom and into the living room. A sound continued into the other room but I knew it wasn't the music playing because it sounded to my left and not behind me. 

On my left was roughly fifteen feet of space and the wall with several obstacles in between us such as a few couches and a coffee table. On the wall was nearly anything that would normally compose a wall due to the entire wall being made of glass with about four columns equally distant from each other. The sound that I could hear was something like a tapping on the glass so I walked passed all of my furniture to see what all of the noise—other than the music blaring in the background—was about. It ticked somewhere above me but it was touching the glass, I couldn't see anything so it was evident that the sound was at least somewhere out of my view.

I grew restless and walked away from the window to turn to look at the door to the outside on the other side of the room. The ticking stopped after I walked a few feet away and I turned immediately being still curious on what was going on with the window. Something slighter than the original ticking began and it sounded from a location on the window that was up from off the floor only five or six feet. It looked like a rock chip was forming on the window and the glass was cracking slowly but progressing with every second. 

A loud screech sounded in the air but not from that strange black figure from before but of something that could fit itself comfortably in the animal kingdom. A bird. I couldn't say which one but it was screeching bloody murder on the top of its lungs. I ran up to be close to the window and I looked up into the sky to see the bird but all I could see was the deep grey fog that was covering the city in more than just darkness. A black figure shook on the distance and approached me within seconds resulting for it to take a dive bomb to my window at the exact place to where the rock ship and cracks were. A loud thud coincided with the bird running into my window not cracking the glass anymore than it was but to show me the bird’s final seconds before it passed away to hit the pavement below.

Blood splattered all around the window showing that it was at a very fast impact but the fact that it hit where the present cracks were and didn't create any more—let alone just crashing through the window—was what intrigued me the most. In no way shape or form was the bird planning to hit at that exact location or even an explanation to the cracks in the first place. Blood slid down the window with a very thin consistency rolling itself into every corner that gravity would let it.

Anything that could make any more noise stopped, the bird was dead, the window seemed to still be intact so I turned around and rushed towards the door to land me into the hallway. As I entered the hallway I listened for the sound to get an exact location on where the sound was coming from—even though I knew for an assuredly that it was coming from the conjoining room to my right. I turned right and walked down looking for the next door to appear. No more than another twenty feet was another door, door number 303. This was in fact where the sound was coming from due to the music’s intensity through the airwaves. A light shined from underneath the door and shadows paced back and forth doing god knows what. As I lifted up my hand to knock on the door I heard more than just music coming from inside the room, it was talking and neither party sounded happy. 

One voice began to scream at the other and I could tell that it was coming from a man, then another that was coming from a woman and she toned up the volume that was in the room. She continued to yell louder and louder till the point that I heard a struggle. A loud scream for help sounded from the woman sounded within the room along with several threats to the man that was also in the room. I reached to the door handle but I found that it was locked along with all of the other coincidences that I have come across. Her screaming turned to that of a vibrating nature like she was being shook by the other party that was within the room. That then turned to a gurgling, I heard her cough up her lungs as liquid also sounded to splash on the floor. I began to bang on the door not knowing what that was going to accomplish but I had to make my presence known. She coughed up e few words violently but I couldn't make out whatever she was attempting to say to end up to be a snap that stopped all of the noise that she was making. 

A large pair of feet walked calmly in the room to turn off the music that was playing in the room, everything was now quiet other than my heavy breathing. I took a few steps back to put my own back against the wall that was behind me. Whatever happened inside that room didn't sound good to the slightest; the palms of my hands were being pushed against my forehead as I griped my hair into my fists. Did I just hear an occurring of a murder? As the footsteps grew closer to me, I couldn't stand the thought of anything that just happened.

The shadow on the other side grew bigger to the point that it was blocking all light that was forming within the room. I could see an eye appear through the peephole that was in the door, the eye glistened with a frosty blue and excitementif eyes could have emotions I could swear it was smiling. It blinked a few times and I knew that whoever was on the other side was aware of me as much as I was for whoever was looking at me. I braced myself where I stood, preparing myself for anything that could happen next. I held my breath waiting for the door to open, I clenched my fists in preparation for a struggle but I could only feel like I didn't belong as the doorknob clicked and began to turn.   



Up next in Listening For That Sweet Tune:














Remember me

No comments:

Post a Comment