Looking For Something?

Saturday, June 25, 2011

6/25/11

It is now officially the 25th and after a long day of work. I dont have much to say.

If you still are unclear on my current endeavor I am a DD (Developmental Disability) worker...helper.  In simplest of terms I help those who have intellectual deficiencies--cerebral palsy, retardation, schizophrenia--and help them live in a everyday environment. But there are several locations and situations.

Some individuals are highly behavioral and need to be in a institution with high structure till they are able to grasp everyday functions like bathing or even eating. Soon as they finish this they go to a intermediate institution, which have several rules but much more freedom. Then, where I help, is the Residential Homes. I live with the clients and I help them shop, cook, and track their finances. Sounds simple? Not so. They still are highly disabled and still have the characteristics of the institutionalized individuals so they will still act up. But they can be in control now.

Now here is the fast-ball. Majority of these individuals are sex offenders because of their disability they dont know the difference. They are registered and those who are repeated offenders are monitored 24-7 by staff who will always be a arm length away. Because of this, they fixate on anything they can get their hands on, everyone must reframe on talking about their personal lives and keep most things of ourselves secret to them. I guess why I am writing about this now. Since I cant talk about me with them.

Because of their situation, they have rights, and rights of privacy. So if I ever talk about them from now on, I will only use initials. I only want to respect them.

Now that soap box is over I have a few things to add about registered sex offenders.

Do you think Sex offenders, that have intellectual deficiencies, should be imprisoned into our jail system?




Think about it momentarily and I will offer up some ideas.

Those who know some of the prison system know that sex offenders, even more child sex offenders are some of the lowest in the prison social class. But those who have intellectual deficiencies and are sex offenders get a even lower class, because they dont do much about it. By the time they are released, they are angry. They have been stabbed, beat up, sodomized and all they want to do now is follow through their frustration. Around 80% of this population, that after release, re-offend.

In the institution that I work at, work with the courts and they try to avoid this population from stepping foot into this vicious cycle. Judges put the individuals in probation and send them to this institution. Following strict rules, if they develop to how society functions, they will be released into society without supervision. Now with that in thought, what percentages of individuals that leave this program re-offend? About 8%.

You have a child and I hate to put this thought in your head but they are approached by one of these individuals and then are sent to trial for their misdeeds what would you rather see.
A. Go to jail, out of society and will return in 5 or so years with a 80% chance of offending another child or.
B. Sent to this institution, living in your community supervised 24-7 then rehabilitated, stabilized and fill their sentence of probation--from 20-30-life--and return to society with a 8% of returning to old habits?

I think the later is the more ideal situation, and its even cheeper to cost society.

From my understanding, this program that we are running here locally is one of a few or even the only in the United States. It has became so popular that individuals from Alaska, Washington, and Oregon want to buy the rights of this program. I think this is a great idea to further in society, and im glad to work with this organization.

Everything may or may not be 100% true, this is what I have been told through training and I may or may have not misinterpreted anything previously written. To the best of my abilities I claimed everything truthfully to my knowledge and if their is any disagreements you are free to do so. I only wanted to inform and create a sense of awareness.




Remember me

No comments:

Post a Comment